||Course on Rheumatic Diseases, EULAR, Geneva, Switzerland
||Lulea University of Technology, Lulea, Sweden
||Cardiff School of Engineering, University of Wales, Cardiff, UK
||Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
||JIPMER Medical College, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, India
||JIPMER Medical College, University of Madras, Pondicherry, India
||Delhi Public School, Mathura Road, New Delhi, Central Board of Secondary Education, India |
|2005, Certificate in Ergonomics
of Technology, Lulea,
|1999, M Sc. Orthopaedic Engineering
Wales, Cardiff, UK
|1998, Postgraduate Diploma in
Orthopaedic & Rehabilitaton Technology
Dundee, Dundee, UK
|1996, Surgical Fellowship (Part-A)
||Royal College of
Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, UK
|1994, Diplomate of National Board in
||National Board of
Examinations, New Delhi, India
|1994, Masters in Orthopaedic Surgery
|1993, Postgraduate Diploma in
|1991, Bachelor of Medicine and
- Karnataka Medical Council, Bangalore, India (Full Registration)
- General Medical Council, London, UK (Full Registration)
- Eligible for registration in the USA (valid ECFMG Certificate)
In Independent Private Practice at Bangalore since
April 7, 2000.
To see current affiliations/designations CLICK HERE
- Head, Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, Bangalore Children’s Hospital and Research Centre (Sept 2000 to Dec 2007), 363, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore, India (200 bedded, tertiary-level teaching children’s hospital).
- Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Maharaja Agrasen Hospital (April 2001 to March 2009), 15th Main, 17th Cross, Padmanabhanagar, Bangalore, India (75-bedded multi-specialty hospital).
- Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Bangalore Heart and Orthopaedic Hospital (December 1, 2002 to December 31, 2005), 5/1 M.H. Marigowda Road (Hosur Road), Bangalore, India (50 bedded Specialty Heart and Orthopaedic Hospital, affiliated to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, New Castle, UK).
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, United Apollo Hospital (Feb 1999 to Feb 2000), Kalapatti Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India (75-bedded multi-specialty hospital). Independent Clinical Practice (predominantly in Paediatric Orthopaedics). I was also involved in special multidisciplinary clinics in complex hand anomalies, neuromuscular disorders, spine, arthritis and neglected trauma.
- Specialist Registrar in Trauma and Orthopaedics, The King's Mill Centre for Health Care Services (NHS Trust), (April 1997 to Sept 1998), Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, UK (Acute General Hospital with 900 beds, previously the famous Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital).
- Senior House Officer in Trauma and Orthopaedics, The King's Mill Centre for Health Care Services (NHS Trust), (Aug 1995 to March 1997).
- Senior House Officer in Trauma and Orthopaedics, Leighton Hospital (NHS Trust) (Feb 1995 to Aug 1995), Crewe, Cheshire, UK (700 bedded District General Hospital).
- Junior Resident (Registrar) in Orthopaedics, Jawaharlal Institute for Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) (April 1991 to March 1994), Pondicherry, India (One of India's premier teaching hospitals and tertiary care centres, designated as an Insitute of National Importance, with 850 beds).
- Compulsory House Surgeon, Jawaharlal Institute for Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) (Jan 1990 to Jan 1991), Pondicherry, India.
Special Professional Achievements
- Winner of an International Scholarship for research presentation at 14th World Congress on Pain at Milan, Italy (August 27-31, 2012)
- Winner of an International Scholarship for research presentation at 6th Biennial Conference of Australasian Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (AusACPDM) at Brisbane, Australia (May 30-June 2, 2012)
- Winner of an International Scholarship for research presentation at 30th International Congress on Occupational Health at Cancun, Mexico (March 18-23, 2012)
- Winner of an International Scholarship for research presentation at PREMUS 2010, the 7th International Conference on Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders at Angers, France (August 29-September 1, 2010)
- Chairperson for the scientific sessions on Organisational Ergonomics in Healthcare, Important Ergonomic Issues with Children and How assess an Employee with Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorder? at the 18th World Ergonomics Congress at Recife, Brazil (February 12-16, 2012)
- Course Director of India's first Online Masters and Postgraduate Diploma Courses in Ergonomics (2012). Presently, there are fewer than 3 such courses world wide and none in an industrially developing country.
- The Health and Safety Executive and the Department of Health, Government of U.K. have proposed to fund a research study to document RECOUP’s extraordinary results with RSI as compared to NHS Hospitals and private clinics in the UK. A delegation representing these organisations visited RECOUP, Bangalore in January 2010 for this purpose.
- Nominated by the Indian Society of Ergonomics as India’s sole representative at the International Ergonomics Council in 2009.
- Chairperson for the Scientific Session on Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders (or RSI) at the 17th World Ergonomics Congress at Beijing, China on August 11, 2009.
- Nominated to the Expert Committee on RSI to advise the Government of India regarding policy matters on RSI and Ergonomics.
- Winner of 2008 National Disability Award (Best Individual working for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities) by the Govt. of India at New Delhi on December 6, 2008 for developing a revolutionary surgical procedure called Single Event Multilevel Lever Arm Restoration and Anti Spasticity Surgery (SEMLARASS) for Cerebral Palsy and providing free surgery and rehabilitation to clients with cerebral palsy from the disadvantaged sections of the society. SEMLARASS has been performed in over 600 children from all over India and other countries in the past 8 years and the functional results have been very encouraging. RECOUP has treated over 10,000 clients with various types of locomotor disabilities from across the world, using its exclusive functional rehabilitation approach.
- Honoured in 2005 by the then President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam for outstanding work in the field of Cerebral Palsy.
- Leader of a prospective study on predisposing factors, presentation and outcome of treatment of work related musculoskeletal disorders in Indian Computer Users that has already covered 35,000 computer professionals (2001-2009) and is the largest study of its kind in the world.
- Recognised as a world leader in treatment of RSI and MSD, having developed own treatment approach called the SHARAN'S Protocol (Skilled Hands-on Approach for Release of myofascia, Articular, Neural and Soft tissue mobilisation). Successfully treated over 1,00,000 clients with Musculoskeletal Disorders, including several from USA, UK, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Poland, Israel, China, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Singapore, UAE and Zimbabwe since 2001.
- Following a sustained campaign focusing on the health hazards of overloaded backpacks along with the Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Kerala became the second state in the world (after California) to ban heavy backpacks in schoolchildren. Following a Civil Writ Petition, The High Court of Kerala at Ernakulam delivered a landmark judgment (WP(c) No. 35198) on December 6, 2004, directing the State Government to ensure that no school kid carried a backpack heavier than 10 per cent of his/her body weight.
- First Rank in University- Diploma in Orthopaedics examination, Pondicherry University, India (1993)
Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders /
Repetitive Strain Injuries:
I have completed the 6-month Ergonomics certificate course
from Lulea University of Technology, Lulea, Sweden. The course
provided theoretical knowledge in basic ergonomics from an ergonomics
system approach and trained participants in techniques to evaluate and
solve problems related to working conditions and human/machine
systems. Content of the course included history of ergonomics,
ergonomic system approach, human capabilities, ergonomics risk factors
at the workplace, case studies in ergonomics, work-related
musculoskeletal problems, Job Analysis methods, understand and apply
improvement options in workstation design, material handling and
storage, tools design and administrative improvements.
During my 2-year Master's Course in Orthopaedic Engineering
at Cardiff School of Engineering, Cardiff, UK (http://www.engin.cf.ac.uk/teaching/postgrad/orthoppt/index.html
), I was introduced to the basic engineering principles (in
relation to materials, experimentation, mechanical engineering theory,
computing allied to medicine, mechanisms of injury and biology of bone
and soft tissue, and surgical applications), which are relevant to the
I have trained in Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology
for 2 years at the University of Dundee, UK (http://www.dundee.ac.uk/),
which is one of the foremost Rehabilitation Research and Training
Centre in the world. My training modules included Biomechanics of
bone, articular cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and major joints of
upper and lower limbs and spine; the way in which the tissues are
loaded, along with how they are designed to withstand these loads; the
latest techniques in prevention, identification and rehabilitation of
injury to these tissues.
I have received advanced training in Hand and Upper Limb
Surgery at Mansfield and Crewe, UK (18 months). At Mansfield,
I participated in special Shoulder and Hand clinics, where I treated
several workers suffering from RSI's of varying nature and severity. I
performed independent bi-weekly operating lists, which regularly
included RSI conditions like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tennis Elbow,
DeQuervain's disease, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, etc.
During my training in the UK and USA for over 5 years, I was
exposed to the latest techniques in the assessment, treatment
(non-operative and operative) and rehabilitation of Musculoskeletal
Disorders involving the spine and limbs. These techniques
included McKenzie's Method, Feldenkrais, Pilates, Tai-Chi, Spinal
Manipulations and Injection Techniques, Myofascial Release, and Body
Work Techniques (e.g., Hellerwork, Rolfing). I participated in special
weekly, multi-disciplinary Back Pain Clinics for patients referred
with complex spinal problems.
I have obtained hands on training in Chiropractic
Techniques, Spinal and Peripheral Manipulations, Therapeutic Massage,
and Trigger Point Therapy, at Coimbatore, India (1999). I
assisted Dr. Brent Detelich, a Visiting Chiropracter from
Pennsylvania, USA, in the treatment of over 200 patients, attended a
lecture-demonstration workshop, and performed several maneuvers under
I have received hands on training in Alexander
Technique at Kochi, India (2004) by Mr. Joseph Stevens, an
eminent Alexander Teacher from London, UK, and Secretary of Society of
Teachers of Alexander Technique, UK.
- Attended the 3-day Pallakad Deformity Course in August 2011, modelled on the Baltimore Deformity Course run by Prof Dror Paley
- Trained under Prof. Takashi Matsuo, Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon from Minami Tama Orthopaedic Hospital, Tokyo, Japan for a week in November 2007. Assessed over 50 patients with Cerebral Palsy, lectured with him, assisted and performed Orthopaedic Selective Spasticity Control Surgery (invented by Dr. Matsuo) on 12 patients under his supervision.
- Attended Workshop on Child's Foot at 12th National Conference of Paediatric Orthopaedic Society of
India, at Ranchi (Feb 10-12, 2006)
- Attended Advanced Courses on Orthopaedic
Surgery for Upper Limb, Spine, Hip and Lower Limb in Cerebral Palsy,
at Asia-Pacific Childhood Disability Update (Faculty: Dr. Freeman
Miller, USA; Dr. H Kerr Graham, Australia), at Mumbai (December 2-4,
- Attended hands-on workshop on Ilizarov and
Orthofix External Fixation during IOACON'2002 (Faculty: Prof.
Dror Paley and Indian Faculty) at Patna (November 12-13, 2002)
- Clinical Fellowship in Paediatric
Orthopaedics (February to April, 2001):
- Dr. M Mark Hoffer (Brachial Plexus, Cerebral Palsy), Orthopaedic
Los Angeles, USA
- Dr. Dennis R Wenger (Paediatric Hip), Dr. Scott Mubarak , and
Dr. Henry G Chambers (Cerebral Palsy), Children's Hospital (www.chsd.org),
San Diego, USA
- Dr. Lawrence A Rinsky, and Dr. Todd Lincoln, Lucille Salter
Packard Children's Hospital (www.lpch.org),
- Dr. Amit Gupta (Paediatric Upper Extremity), Christine M.
Kleinert Institute for Hand and Microsurgery (www.cmki.org)
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
- Attended Instructional Courses in Cerebral
Palsy, Limb Lengthening, and the Child's
Foot, during the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of
Orthopaedic Surgeons (www.aaos.org)
at San Francisco, USA (February 28 to March 4, 2001)
- Attended International workshops on Cerebral
Palsy and Pelvic Osteotomies (Faculty: Dr.
David Sutherland, Dr. Dennis Wenger, Dr. Kaye Wilkins, from USA, and
Mr. Malcolm Macnicol from UK), organised by the Paediatric Orthopaedic
Society of India, at Mumbai (2000).
- Specialist Registrar Level Training in Paediatric
Orthopaedics with Mr. A Moulton at Mansfield, UK (18 months),
Mr. TR Redfern at Crewe, UK (3 months), and Prof. DK Patro at
Pondicherry, India (3 years). At Mansfield, I attended special clinics
in Cerebral Palsy (supported by a Gait Lab at the University Hospital,
Nottingham), DDH and other Paediatric Orthopaedic disorders. At
Pondicherry, I conducted special weekly clinics in Clubfoot, Post
Polio Residual Paralysis, Cerebral Palsy and Bone Tumours.
- Trained in the use of Orthofix External
Fixator and Limb Reconstruction System with Prof. M Saleh at
the University of Sheffield, UK (1996).
- Advanced training in the use of Joshi
External Stabilization System, devised for club foot, upper
limb injuries and contractures of small joints, burns contractures,
deformity correction, and lengthening of small bones, with its
inventor Dr. BB Joshi for 2 weeks at Mumbai (1999). I have assisted
him in over 50 operations, performed 5 under his direct supervision,
attended 2 advanced hands-on workshops, and am a qualified trainer. I
have used this system extensively and independently for over 10 years.
- Trained in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine
at Mansfield and Crewe, UK, (21 months). I have attended the Practical
Arthroscopic Knee Surgery Workshop at Droitwich Knee Foundation, UK
(1997), and the General Sports Medicine Course, British Association of
Sport and Medicine, Lilleshall National Sports Center, Newport, UK
- Attended the AO/ASIF Basic Course for
Surgeons, University of Nottingham, UK (1996), and Fracture
Fixation Course, University of Leicester, UK (1995). I am fully
trained in contemporary AO techniques and philosophy.
- Trained in Total Hip Replacement
(assisted 350, performed 20) and Total Knee Replacement (assisted
300, performed 10). Attended the DePuy-Leeds Practical Hip Course, at
the University of Leeds, UK (1997).
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Provider,
certified by the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1996).
|MBBS, MS Ortho, DNB Ortho, Dip Ortho, M Sc Orthopaedic Engineering (UK),
Dip Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation Technology (UK), Fellow, AACP&DM (USA),
Fellowship in Paediatric Orthopaedics (UK & USA), Certificate in Ergonomics (Sweden)
Consultant in Orthopaedics, Rehabilitation & Ergonomics,
Medical Director, RECOUP Neuromusculoskeletal Rehabilitation Centre,
312, 10th Block, Further Extension of Anjanapura Layout, 80 Feet Road, Bangalore-560062, India
Branches: Jayanagar, Indiranagar, HSR Layout, Sarjapur Road, ITPL (Bangalore), Hitec City (Hyderabad), Mehrauli (Delhi), Vaishali (NCR), Pataliputra Colony (Patna), Thrissur (Kerala)
Phone: +91-80-32423424, 64504224, Hotline +91-98451 55449 Fax +91-11-45823555
Web Sites: http://www.deepaksharan.com (Personal); http://www.recoup.in (Official)
News and Events
National award for Dr. Deepak Sharan Read More..
Prior appointment is essential for all my outpatient clinics. Read More..